Friday, April 17, 2009

Do you have a sock? Then make a monkey!

When I joined Etsy 2 years ago and saw first time in my life sock moneys, they seemed so weird. They still do, but in a very cute way :)

Anyway, some days ago I made a search and discovered that the sock monkey is a lot more than just a toy. It has a history! And very long one... Wikipedia has a long story about it.

In European Street Team we have our own sock monkey maker Strumpfkunst from Germany.I borrowed the photo from her, hoe Strump doesn't mind :) She does make more cute sock animals that you can find from her shop or from her blog.



Of course you can try to make your own sock monkey, but if you have so less experienced like me, maybe it's smarter to buy the first one.
I've never seen in Estonia original sock monkey socks with the red heel, but it's probably possible to get them from other European countries. And in US it defenitely is no problem!

Youtube has a lot of video tutorials about making a monkey and making the right cuts.
For example:
How to make leg cuts
How to cut monkey arms
How to cut snout

I admit I've been very conservative artist and I don't experiment much with different materials and styles. I love knitting and crocheting, even sewing a bit, but that's all.
But as a mother to 3 year old boy I need to stay creative and learn new things too. Maybe sometime in the future you will see my first sock monkey that won't look as great as Strump's for sure!

4 comments:

Ira said...

oh, they are so cute, aren't they?
I love strupmf shop too, full house of cutie:)))

fleurfatale said...

ooh, the sockmonkeys are really cute!!!
but I don't have the time to make one myself! off to browse Strumphs shop!

jealousydesign said...

They are so cute!

BlueTerracotta said...

My aunt used to make and sell sock monkeys when I was small. She made one for me and one for my sister. I named mine Monk Monk; my sister named hers Munk Munk, just to be different!

Post a Comment